Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Roasted Spaghetti Squash


Can you tell that this picture of yummy looking spaghetti and meatballs really has no pasta in it at all?  I swapped spaghetti squash for traditional spaghetti at one of our pasta dinners.  Why? you ask.  I am trying to cut down on my carbs AND a cup of roasted spaghetti squash has only 42 calories! 

Spaghetti squash is REALLY easy to make. 

For those of you who are shopping for a spaghetti squash for the very first time, this is what you're looking for...


Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.  (Just like a pumpkin.)









Place the squash halves, upside down on a foil lined baking sheet.  







Roast squash for 50 minutes at 400. (No butter, no salt, no oil, no nothing.)


Once the squash cools slightly, use a fork to shred it into spaghetti like strands.










Put squash into a bowl.







Top with sauce, turkey meatballs, parmesan cheese and fresh basil.


My bowl of spaghetti squash was surprisingly filling and delicious.

So let's be honest - there is no way in the world that I was going to get Ben and the kids to eat squash instead of pasta.  I made them each a small bowl of squash pasta to try and they all tried it  - hesitantly. They've decided that they're sticking to regular pasta for a while.  Since I kind of suspected that they would not be sold on my squash pasta right away, I had bowls of regular pasta ready and waiting. 


Even though the rest of my family isn't sold on the idea of spaghetti squash,  it's easy enough that I can still make it for myself on pasta night.

Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment